Are you feeling a little anxious about beginning your window project? No worries; here are some established style guidelines to consider when designing your window treatments.
- Light colors tend to make a room feel more spacious, while darker colors make a room smaller or cozier.
- When pairing curtains with drapes, the curtains or sheers should be lighter in color.
- If you like the look of sheers, but need to manage light, pair your sheers with blinds or shades.
- Southern exposure means constant sunlight throughout the day. Protect your furniture, rugs and art with light filtering window treatments, such as drapes, blinds, shades or shutters.
- Heighten your room by hanging your curtain rods high on the wall. Some designers recommend hanging them two inches below the ceiling or crown molding.
- In living areas and bedrooms, curtains should touch the floor. In the kitchen, window treatments should only cover the window.
- Extend curtain rods four inches beyond the outside of window casings, not including the finials.
The most important rule to remember is to implement what pleases you. If your style brings you joy, there is no right or wrong. Window coverings can make a big impact in a room, as well as provide privacy, control light and save energy.